Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saints that have influenced me: Augustine of Hippo

This is the fourth and last article about certain saints that have influenced my life

                                                                              

No other saint has shown that God stays with us throughout our life, and that conversion can happen at any day, than Augustine of Hippo. Augustine used to live a loose life of partying, entertainment, and worldly ambitions. He later converted to be one of the most well known saints of all time, through his preaching, philosophy, theology, and life of penance for his past sins.

Background

Augustine was born in November 13, 354 in Thagaste. ( present day Algeria) His parents were Particius a pagan, and Saint Monica a devout Christian. Monica prayed daily for the conversions of her husband and son. Particius converted to Christianity shortly before his death, Austine would convert later in his life.

Carthage

Augustine moved to Carthage to study rhetoric. It was on Carthage that Augustine fell for immorality, which he would later describe in his book "The Confessions".

Augustine was influenced by Manichaeism. ( A Gnostic sect of Christianity) During the same time he began an affair with the woman whom he was to live with for 13 years. Augustine would bear a son with her, Adeodatus.

Conversion

Augustine eventually moved away from Manichaeism and would terminate his relationship with the woman who he lived with. He would devoted his life to God.Augustine would sell his patrimony and give the money to the poor. Augustine was ordained a priest and became a great preacher. Augustine became one of the best theologians would become a doctor of the church.

Augustine had influenced my life a great deal, because I can relate to him in many ways. Augustine was not always close to his Christian faith, as was I. Augustine was side tracked by many false beliefs before being converted to Catholicism. I too had wrong beliefs, as for a while I believed in the New Age movement before being brought to the True Faith. At the same time Augustine lived 13 years in fornication and lust. I myself had an addiction to lust for quite some time. Converting to the Catholic church and leaving behind both false teachings, and lust made me admire Augustine as those were problems that I myself faced.







0 comments:

Post a Comment